JOB SEARCH COURAGE is,
Mind and spirit overcoming fear,
Leading to productive activity,
Moving closer to meaningful work.
First of all, I don’t know anything more than you already know about job hunting and networking–
- You already know you must work harder than any other time you’ve been in transition
- You already know that your goal is to communicate your value to as many people as possible–not just those who can hire you or refer you to others who can, but to those who can give you new ideas and insights about yourself and your work
- You already know you need to be patient, persistent and not lose hope-easier said than done
- You already know you need to balance your time between using the web/social media for research and as a tool to get meetings–and preparing for the meetings
- You already know you must get smarter in your field, becoming a subject matter expert-or gaining a useful perspective on some issue or idea which is valuable to someone or someone’s organization
- You already know that when applying to real time openings on any job board or website, you need to match up to 90 plus % of the requirements–and optimally, know someone in the organization
- You already know–that when you’re networking—whether it’s on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, a blog, email or in person, it comes down to the same challenge i.e. saying the right thing at the right time to the right person-and saying it with impact. Part of this is coming up with great questions that show you’re serious and curious about a person’s work or organization.
These truths haven’t changed.
Pick out one truth and write down 3 steps you will take to make it part of your transition work.